Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Number 21 Bus today smelled like a farm

I really meant to run downtown this afternoon but I just couldn't make it work. So I took the number 21 bus in via Flavia all the way to Piazza Oberdan. Takes about 20 minutes.

The bus was really full, and it was hot. At some point, though, I realized that it also smelled like a farm. And because I had 20 minutes to think about it, I started asking myself, "Well, what kind of farm does it smell like? What kind of animals are on this farm? Do I smell, say, a chicken coop? A barn with cows? Isolate that smell, give that smell a name!" But I couldn't say for sure exactly what kind of farm it would be.

And then I tried to figure out what the source of the smell could be. A person? Well, it was about 150 degrees celsius (that's a gazillion degrees Fahrenheit), and sweat was rolling down the small of my back for no reason (although this time, I assure you, it was not me). So the possibility was there.

Gorgonzola. That's what it smelled like. Gorgonzola.

Which reminded me of a time my American friend came to visit me from France. He had this odd smell about him. A lot like the smell on the bus today. Sour. Ripe. From the second I saw him. I didn't say anything.

When we got home, I took my coat off to hang it up on the coat tree. Just as I was thinking about how he didn't look as dirty as he smelled, he pulled a container out of his coat pocket. It was a plastic tub like you buy ice cream in here. He opened it with a face that said TA-DAH! and thereby UNLEASHED THE SMELL. It was a glorious hunk of cheese, and that was enough to put a new perspective on that nasty smell. It was the kind of cheese that makes your eyes water but TASTES SOOOO GOOOD!

So that made me think differently about the smell on the bus. Some nice person must be bringing some other very nice person a piece of delicious cheese. Yes, that is what that smell is!

No comments:

Post a Comment