Tuesday, September 22, 2009

How long does it take to lose the parking guilt?

I said I would tell you the story of what it's like to live in Trieste if you're not from here. So that is what I'm going to do today. My mission is to run from my house by the stadium to Via Roma 15 where an intensive English class is starting tonight at six. I want to be there to make sure everything goes smoothly. I was hoping to be there by four, but I think it's best to give myself a little extra time-- usually it takes me about half an hour to run there, but I want to take a couple of pictures, and make sure I have time to towel off before people start coming in... Yeah, I'm one of those crazy people who prefers running to work, rather than taking the bus, or, the worst, driving there.

Because a lot of the Trieste I see is on running feet, I feel more comfortable not driving here unless I have to. Yesterday, I made an exception.

Since I had to be at the Association early to learn how to help people sign up for classes, check out books, etc. and because I was planning a nice meet and greet for new students, I let my husband talk me into driving downtown. Big mistake. I drove around in circles for what semeed like hours! There was NO PARKING ANYWHERE IN THE ENTIRE CITY that you didn't have to pay for, and I really hate paying to park.

So what did I do? I found a street lined with illegally parked cars up by St. Giusto--that's the area by the Cathedral and castle up on the hill where Triestini like my husband park because until recently it was ALL FREE. Of course, you have to make the killer walk back up again to find your car when it's time to go home, but, hey, 80 euro cents an hour saved is 80 euro cents earned, right? I saw an opening there, slowed down, and (gulp) drove up onto the curb first with my left front tire, then eased up the left rear tire and parked with two wheels on the sidewalk. Just like the Italians do.

I got out, locked the car, and started making my way down the street, passing the NO PARKING, TOW AWAY ZONE 24-HOURS sign on the way down and tried to ignore it. No big deal.

I got to the office.
Then the panic set in.
My car is going to get towed. I am going to get a ticket. I will definitely get caught.
Evil thoughts of how this parking job was going to ruin my life circled through my head.
So I skyped Cristian and told him about my situation.
"Do you have time to go move it?"
"No. There's no parking. I'm afraid. Come take it away... PUH-LEEEEEEASE!!"

So that's what he did. After he finished work, he ran and found the car with our dog, Luna. It was the ONLY car there parked illegally on the sidewalk by that time. Apparently there is some kind of time limit for these types of things. He took the car home and played tennis for an hour.

When I was finished, he came and picked me up in the car, Luna in the back. Thankfully, besides not being towed or ticketed, I didn't have to climb back up that hill to St. Giusto either. It turned out okay after all.

But I am not taking any more chances. Today I am going to sweat it out on foot and get a 3-mile round trip (correction, it's 3 miles one way so it's a 6 mile round trip) out of it. Maybe even take a few pictures.

3 comments:

  1. sounds like something i would do to avoid paying to park. we share our hatred for that injustice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just a matter of statistics: either you pay by instalments at the parking lot, or you pay the fine once every so often.

    Believe me, to do these things in the italian style, you need to get the proper feeling. Every place has his own timing. For example, I used to park on the street, you know, that one that leads uphill to your mother-in-law, well, it was necessary to take the car away before 8 am. Once I got late, I got fined. Why? Who knows! However, follow my example: never use the car in town, and if you really need it, then head straight into the Silos or Foro Ulpiano. What you pay for the parking lot is way less than fuel, fine risk, stress and, last but not the least, accident risk.

    Unfortunately, to behave like an italian isn't that easy for a non-italian. Count me in the latter group for what "savage parking" goes :-)

    ReplyDelete