Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Mystery at Sant'Anna

Well my run downtown was a success. It was so good, in fact, that I forgot to take pictures. Well, I did take one. As I was passing the cemetary parking lot (I usually tell people I live near the stadium, but the truth is, I live closer to the cemetary) I noticed areas where perfectly square pieces of concrete had been removed and surrounded with red tape that warned "Don't fall in here." What are those holes for? Is the cemetary running out of room? From across the street they did look oddly rectangualar, those holes. I wondered this out loud to Sweety this morning who quickly pointed out that you could also plant a tree in each one and eventually provide a little shade in that wide open unprotected lot.

Fair enough. I'll keep you updated on this one.
*UPDATE* Sweetie was right! They planted a whole bunch of trees in those holes, and cut down the big tree that was hanging over the street. How about that? Parking Lot Landscaping! I'm all for it.

1 comment:

  1. A big part of S.Anna cemetary is not made of gravel: insetad, it is kind of a big cavity, with the coffins being simply put on underground shelves. Maybe you just saw workers accessing this underground level.

    PS did you ever visited that cemetary? Very interesting. And in the vicinity, there are also the jewish, the greek-ortodox and some others.

    ReplyDelete