Monday, May 2, 2016

Speaking Using Triestine Sounds

Communicating in Trieste is not just about language. It is about attitude. It is also about SOUNDS. I have never found a dictionary of Triestine sounds, so I thought I would build an ad hoc one for you.

I hope this helps!

Sound 1.

"Eh" (like the E in BED) = definition 1. Yes, I told you so. You should have listened to me, but you didn't and now look at you!

Example:

"You were right, Mother-in-Law. Again. I guess I should have listened to you!"

"Eh!"

Definition 2. As an answer to How Are you?

Example:

"Come xe?"

"Eh..." (shake head and look down at the same time to indicate that life is too terrible for words)

Sound 2.

BOH! (pronounced just like it says) = definition. I do not know. But like a teenager would say it, without words. (mm MMM mmm!)

"How did you do on your Math test?"

"Boh!"

Sound 3

Tongue Click at the front of your mouth= definition: no.

Example:

"Did the cilantro come in this week at Curry Mix in Via Torri Bianca?"

Tongue Click (no).

Sound 4

"Madonna!" This is a word but it is used like a SOUND. Definition: Yes!

"Were there a lot of people walking at Barcola last weekend?"

"Madonna!!"

There you go. Your Triestine sound guide. Remember, you can get away without using them, but you should be able to recognize them when you hear them. Ustia!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment