Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Where to get Cilantro (in your dreams)

The Cilantro Situation in Trieste is a DISASTER. Idem for avocados. Let's just say you can get your hands on them SOMETIMES but there are no guarantees.

I am updating this post at a distance of 3 years from when I wrote it to tell you that the situation has only gotten worse, not better.

For Cilantro:

Best Option: Grow it yourself.

I do not recommend having your mother-in-law grow it for you. I tried once with seeds that I smuggled in from the US. It grew perfectly, It was gorgeous, I dream of curries and soups when I think of it, but one day it was all gone. She let it all die (every delicious leaf) when she smelled it and realized it was completely different than parsely. Her explanation: NON MI PIASO! and a look of disdain. I heard my heart break.

Best Option for buying it: Curry Mix store (ask for Irene) in Via Torre Bianca

Call it CORIANDOLO FRESCO. And, no the dried seeds are NOT the same thing. Cilantro is cilantro.
It comes once a week normally. It used to come in on Fridays but check with her.

Good luck. and a GREAT ENTREPRENEURSHIP OPPORTUNITY if you ask me. Add Idaho potatoes to that plot of land and you will be in Business, even if I am your only client.

No comments:

Post a Comment