Thursday, January 14, 2010

Since When is Coffee a Whole Euro??

This week I've gotten charged an entire euro for coffee TWICE (one lousy, one good). When did the price go up? Is this some kind of New Year's thing?? I don't want to sound like my mother: "When cigarettes go up to 70 cents, I'm quitting!!" but a euro for a tiny espresso seems a bit much. Maybe in Trieste we've been spoiled for too long. But I don't think so!

If you're not from here, though, you should know that if you choose to have a coffee standing up in a caffè rather than sitting down at a table, you always pay a fixed price for it, which, up until something like YESTERDAY, was 90 cents! If you sit down, you pay for service (someone bringing it to the table) and the price can go up to 2-4 euros (see, I can't even be sure because I NEVER sit down). So, the Italians, they're not crazy people who prefer standing up to enjoy their coffee, they're just cheap (and I mean that in a good way).

But a 10% increase, SNAP, just like that?? Must be nice to be a cup of coffee!
Bah! I'm making my coffee at home (bah humbug!)...

2 comments:

  1. now THAT is a useful bit of touristy info!! DON'T SIT DOWN! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You see, I didn't even know the "standing" price, I always get my coffee at home :-)

    Since we are talking about tourist info: don't expect BIG coffee. In terms of price/mass ratio, italian coffee will always be extremely dear.

    ReplyDelete