Monday, March 26, 2018

Oh You're Late? Me too... NOT

Here's a little cultural difference I experience all the time. I am running something like 35 seconds late and I write a message to my appointment saying "Gosh, so sorry, I may be a little late. Get there as fast as I can." The reply is always a curt "OK." There is never any added "Take your time, no problem, I'm in the office anyway" or "No worries, me too." Then I get to the appointment and the other person is like 10 minutes later than me and there is no explanation and certainly no apology upon arriving.

What is up with that?

This is in the same category as the crazy advice I got from an Italian client a few years ago who said "Never say you're sorry, for ANYTHING. The other person will always want a discount."

It's as if saying you are sorry or admitting you are late is also admitting that you are weak or you are giving your power up. Here is another example. 4 out of 5 people in a class tell me they can't make it to our last class, which is a makeup class and which is also a party. So I decide to reschedule it when more people can come.

I send the message. Here's what I get for an answer:

"OK."

And I think, how about a THANK YOU! THAT'S SO THOUGHTFUL or GREAT, HAVE A NICE EASTER!

Not so much. Well, one of them did say Happy Easter.

I will put that in my joy box.

2 comments:

  1. Hello! I came across your blog in August. I spent the summer as an Au Pair in Trieste and absolutely fell in love with it.

    Long story short...I have realized how much happier I am when I am in Italy. I just went back for 10 days over Spring Break. I am currently teaching in America but want nothing more than to teach in Italy. Specifically, Trieste.

    However, I have no idea where to even begin. I emailed the international school a few times, but I'm hoping to get a hold of you so that maybe you can help me!

    I'm hoping to hear from you soon!

    --Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. you don't have to approve this comment, but if you are willing to help me my email is sedelegatto@yahoo.com or I have Whatsapp: +1 815 534 0519

    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete