Tuesday, August 6, 2013

You want to learn Perfect Triestino?

If you live in Trieste you had better learn some of the local dialect. Otherwise you will be doubly foreign. First because you don't speak Italian, second because you don't speak Triestine.

Now if you ask a Triestino if you should learn it or not, they will always say Noooo. First Italian, THEN Triestine. But they don't mean it. That whole inferiority complex about Triestino is fake. They love their dialect, and the more you can show that you do too, the faster you will make friends here.

Here is a little lesson for you.

Triestino:

Expression 1
Demo dei!

Pronunciation:
Day-moh day!

Meaning:
Let's Go! (Italian: Andiamo!)

Expression 2
Come xe?

Pronunciation:
Koh-may zay? (try to avoid the dipthongs if you can, may and zay are more  like the e sound in Bed)

Meaning 1:
How are you? (Italian: Come va?)
or
Meaning 2:
What the hell is up with you?

You are going to have to rely on tone of voice and/or context to decide which meaning it is. If someone yells it to you while you are on your bike in the street, it is probably the second, for example.

If you want to become truly fluent in Triestine dialect, I suggest you get your driver's license here. If you are American you can only use yours for a year anyway before you have to take the class (yes, THE CLASS) and then THE TEST.  In my driver's ed class there were 6 foreigners and 2 Triestini. The teacher asked us if we preferred Italian (six hands went up) or Triestino (two hands went up). Triestino won.

That's how I learned it. I've never regretted it either. I'm also happy I took the class. I'm a much better driver now, and much more aggressive.



6 comments:

  1. Hi Karoline,

    Finding your blog has been a pleasure! I am moving to Trieste in May for 1.5 years. I guess I'll set to work studying now ;-)
    ~Katharine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katharine, great! See you when you get here!

      Delete
  2. Hey! great blog! I was wondering, do people in Trieste use more triestine or Italian ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to say. There is a lot of Trestino happening, you won't have a problem. People will speak to you in Italian. :) You will make friends if you speak a little Triestino, though. The natives love it.

      Delete
  3. Ciao, My husband and I just arrived in Trieste from Colorado with our 7mth old baby. My husband will be working at the synchroton. I was wondering if you have any advice for us on settling into our new home? We are currently trying to find a rental apartment and I would like to take Italian classes, but I need to find evening or weekend classes due to looking after my son. Any advice would be so wonderful,

    Thank you so much,

    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am Triestine. I came to the USA at the age of 3. I went to vist some members of my family 5 years ago and found that the older Triestines still speak the dialect, the younger adults know the dialect but speak mostly formal Italian.

    ReplyDelete