Tuesday, August 6, 2013

What is up with Trieste's love affair with Concrete?

That's what I kept asking myself yesterday during my run. Where is the grass and why do hot places use so much concrete? The afternoons lately are unbearable because besides the hot sun, you've got these sidewalks and streets and buildings all made of concrete smoking up around your ankles. What we need around here are a couple of wide open fields. There are a few trees in the Giardino Pubblico (and thank goodness for that), but, that is the CENTER, where things are supposed to be beautiful, otherwise, WOW!

Now, I understand that the periphery of Trieste was meant to be more functional than esthetic, but whose idea was it to fill it with so many gigantic concrete buildings that hold on to heat so well? And what the aych was I thinking when I bought an apartment in one of them?! I'll tell you what, I found it in November, that's why. How could I have known?

Hmmph. The only answer is to eat as many popsicles and ice cream as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment